Used to excess, Alcohol can affect every system of the body. Alcohol abuse can have devastating effect on the family, job performance, society and public safety. Effect depends on the amount consumed, the personality and mood of the drinker. Reaction can range relaxation and euphoria to withdrawal and violence. Alcohol impedes fetal development.
Signs of intoxication: Incoordination, slurred speech, vomiting, loss of consciousness.
Withdrawal symptoms: Anxiety, insomnia, and / or tremens (DT’s or “the shakes).
EFFECTS OF CHRONIC ABUSE
Dependency, permanent damage to vital organs, premature mental aging, metabolic abnormalities .
- Mind & Behavior: Excitability, anxiety, depression, insomnia, possible violent behavior, memory lapses, mental incapability, paranoia, auditory hallucinations, dementia.
- Central Nervous System: Depressed activity.
- Heart & Blood: Risk of anemia, high blood pressure, heart disease.
- Brain: Risk of stroke, permanent brain damage.
- Lungs: Progressively depressed respiration with increased consumption.
- Liver: Risk of alcohol hepatitis, cirrhosis, disrupted glucose production.
- Stomach: Risk of ulcer and gastritis.
- Muscles: Muscle wasting due to vitamin and nutritional deficiencies.
- Sexual Organs: Possible impotence.
- Fetus: Deformity, lower birth weight, mental retardation, verbal and hearing defects, risk of spontaneous abortion, fetal alcohol syndrome.
Other Risk: Increase risk of cancer in various organs. Diminished ability of the immune system to identify cancer cells. Inflammation of pancreas, heart and muscles, In sufficient amounts can cause respiratory failure, coma, death.