Each year on May 31st the World Health Organization encourages countries around the world to observe World No Tobacco Day by highlighting the health and additional risks associated with tobacco use. This year’s international theme is “Tobacco – A Threat to Development”. The Theme for Jamaica is “Tobacco – A Threat to Me and My Country”.
The NCDA in collaboration with the Ministry of Health, the Heart Foundation of Jamaica, Jamaica Cancer Society and others is seeking to use creative means to engage students, and the school community in general as a means of building awareness in the area of tobacco prevention and control with a special focus on how it impacts individuals as well as national development. The use of a competition is to capture the students’ interest, tap into their creative potentials, build awareness and provide an avenue for the appropriate behavior to be practiced.
Students are being invited to develop a jingle that outlines the ways that tobacco poses a threat both to humans and to national development. Some of these jingles will be used for ongoing educational efforts to make the Jamaican population more aware of the need to minimize the impact of tobacco use in Jamaica.
The competition targets students in high schools across the island. It will run over the three-week period leading up to World No Tobacco Day (May 31st).
To increase national interest and awareness on the impact of tobacco use on the individual and national development.
- To build awareness among the high school population about tobacco use.
- To use creative ways to engage the school population towards minimizing tobacco use.
- To sustain public engagement on the issue of tobacco and development
- The competition dates are May 1-26, 2017.
- Entry forms are available online at and must be emailed to ***Winner is based on number of likes on Instagram
- Jingle title: “Tobacco – A Threat to Me and My Country”
- Jingle should be no more or no less than 60seconds
- Jingle entry can be done by one student or a maximum of two students
- Each school is allowed a maximum of two entries
- Jingle should be uploaded to NCDA’s Instagram page: drugfreeja
- Closing date for uploading Jingles is May 24th
- The top 5 (based on number of likes) will be invited to perform their jingle on Outside Broadcast at Half-Way-Tree Transport Center on May 31st
- Listeners will vote for their favourites on Instagram
- Voting will be closed half hour before the end of broadcast
- Winner will be announced before end of broadcast
- Prizes will be issued for top 3 (students and teachers)
Outline of Competition:
The competition is open to students in selected secondary level schools. Schools are allowed to submit NO MORE THAN two entries. Winners will be selected based on the number of likes they receive on NCDA’s Instagram. Audience will be encouraged to consider the inclusion of the theme, creativity, accurateness of message and originality when voting. The organizers reserve the right to remove any inappropriate entries from the competition.
- 1st place Student : 30,000.00
- Winning Teacher: 10, 000.00
2nd place Student: 20,000.00
- 2nd place teacher: 8,000.00
3rd Place Student: 10,000.00
- 3rd place teacher: 5,000.00
- Deadline for uploading all entries is Wednesday, May 24th, 2017
- Online voting for top 5 ends on May 26th
- Online voting for top 3 ends half hour before the end of the Outside Broadcast on Wednesday May 31th